Friday, April 27, 2007

Time Crisis

OK, on Monday I asked for people to upload their finished work so I could attempt to compile it, fail, send it back for repairs and then compile it again properly with plenty of time before the deadline.

It's not happened, so I thought I'd just make things a bit more exciting by pointing out the realism of the situation... the presentation needs to be done on the 9th.

We have 12 days.

And not 12 work days, no... we need it finished for the 9th, not on the 9th.

I am not going to risk taking everyone's blame for an incomplete project when all five of you hand all your models to me on the 8th and ask me to fix whatever problems show up during the compile, so here's where things get exciting...

I will not compile any model that is handed to me after Thursday the 3rd of May unless it is somehow vital to the project or has a damn good reason for being late.


I know it sounds a bit harsh, but here are the facts :
- No-one is showing any completed models
- The plan to meet up this week was laughable
- I remember what happened for our INDE project last year
- This year has been a "can I have an extension please" frenzy for most of you

Also, on day ONE I posted a link on the gaymart blog to the Valve Developer Wiki page, which is where a majority of my knowledge about working with Half Life 2 came from... all the information you need to compile a model is on there.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Compiling_models
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Qc

I even uploaded a tool that compiles models on to Blackboard the other day.

How to compile textures has already been posted on the blog.

http://gaymart.blogspot.com/2007/03/compiling-textures.html


There we go... all the knowledge in the world is now yours, just in case you don't have your models completed by the 3rd... they can still be added to the map, but you'll need to compile them yourself.



Pre-emptive defence of this crazy new deadline :
Yes, I know the 3rd is a bit "early" before the presentation date, but going on past form I feel pretty confident that even if this deadline is given any attention at all I won't see a single model until Thursday evening. This gives me Friday to compile them, find any errors and send them back, Saturday to receive and compile fixed models, Sunday to get everything in the map and then Monday and Tuesday can just be spent bug hunting.

This message has been posted on both the gaymart blog AND Blackboard, so there is no excuse for not seeing it.

WORK WORK WORK !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home